Sunday, June 03, 2007

The Tic TAC Toe Man (a Suspense sketch)

The Tic TAC Toe Man


I once owned a hotel with a big lounge in it, I was kind of a stickling person (or stubborn about who came in, and perhaps annoyed with trivial matters), during this period of time in my life. Having said that, one day a man come in that really got my goat, he was about six foot three inches tall, perhaps 220-pounds, with a balled head. As I stared at the man, now sitting in my lounge chair, legs spread out on the carpet, as if he owned the place, I noticed a drawing on his head, right in the middle of it, it covered the whole top of his head, everyone, could see it, if indeed they were looking his way.
Anyhow, this fellow annoyed me, and if you can’t figure it out, I can’t figure you out; because I believed at the time, he should annoy anyone if not everyone, and so I still feel (yet I learned a lesson here); if it wasn’t my place perhaps I’d feel differently. Now that this happening is history, I get thinking: what if I had just left this alone, you know, not let it bother me, just overlooked it, and said, hell with the trivial matters, let it go, he’ll go away. But you know, that was not me, so although I can say that now, then I couldn’t. And if that joker came back into my new hotel, the one I no longer have, I’d do the same thing, some fifteen years later.
So here we are, I am looking at this deadbeat, and he is looking at me, and on his head was this Tic TAC Toe (or Michi in Spanish) game outline, that had all the X’s and O’s, marked in, except for one, and if he put a zero in it, he’d win, if he put an x in it, not sure what that would mean, but it would not be three zeros in a line, so I assume he’d lose. Well at this point it wasn’t the case. And I said, “Mister, you are not a hotel guest here, so get out of my hotel lobby.” I was not kind, nor did I have a soft voice, and he said, “It’s a public place,” and I said, “No, it is my place, my hotel, and get out of here now.”
I even tried to pull him up, and he almost laughed in my face. It didn’t work. And he wouldn’t leave. So I went to the next level, called the police, and they did there job for once, and kicked him out of my lobby.
It was now evening and he came back, I saw him coming from the parking lot. He came in, this time the “O” was filled in on his head, so I suppose he was feeling good, he perhaps won the game according to the graphic on his skin-skull anyway, he came right up to me, asked me, “Now what are you going to do about it?” He even insulted me. And I killed him with my 38 special…and the police said in court, “He used me, he was looking for someone to do his dirty work: he wanted to commit suicide.”
But I had lots of money, so I didn’t even get a mark on my record; actually I got an accommodation indicating how brave I was under the circumstances, for he had a record as long as his long stretched out legs.

(DM) 6-3-2007

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home