Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Rock me to Sleep (A Poem on Death and Suicide,with Commentary)

Rock me to Sleep
(A poem on Death and Suicide, with commentary)


Suicide is an invitation for death, there are many reasons for it, a fatalistic attitude is good enough for suicide, or rejection of life per se, claiming death is nothing more than a charming quietness thereafter (therefore, a wishful desire; how foolish you may say. On the other hand fear of death can be an awful thing, death in this way of thinking, is a way for lives that are preoccupied with fear, and filled with attempts to win God’s favor and avoid His anger: this way of thinking paralyzes one with fear of death, just the opposite). In any case, many people lean towards the tendency to go to the opposite extreme and find death, wake it up. So I shall give you a poem, one with a poignant final word for, or on death, one that a suicide would use, called ‘Rock me to Sleep’.

We need not give heed to boldness, denial or fear, one need only find Christ, for death is certain, and will come sooner or later anyhow, but during the interim, we may simple remember as death is certain, so is heaven, and there we can bath in our victory, for there in heaven are no powers that can separate us from the love of Christ. And now here is the sad, but true thinking poem, a suicide might ponder on, but first a quote from the Bible; Philippians 1: 23, 24—“I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; but it is more necessary for you (me) that I remain in the body.”


Death oh Death, please rock me to sleep
Where the quiet realm rests for people like me
No worries, no evils, no fear or rise
Out of my breast!…
Lower the coffin, ring the Chapel Bells
Let them tell, of my sorry life
And my scornful quest;
And if death shall not find me
I shall wake it up…to take my life.
For there is no other remedy,
There is no contented light.
So Death, Death, please rock me to sleep,
Where the quiet realm rests for people like me!...


Note: No: 2012 (Oct 10, 2007)

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home